First day of school
My little boy is growing up...he started preschool this past week!!
Actually, his one-hour Parent/Child "Orientation" was the previous Thursday, but it was a total non-event (much to my disappointment). There was no structure or anything, all the parents stood around while the kids played, waiting for the teacher to start, but she never did. It was just an open hour of play for the kids and "mingling" for the parents. To their credit, the 2 teachers did come around and introduce themselves to every single parent and child in the room and chatted for a bit, but I would have liked at least a 5-minute "Hey, how are you doing? I'm the head teacher. Here's what we do here. Let's introduce ourselves and our kids", etc etc. But, I guess, if the goal was "orienting" Peyton (in the true sense of the word) to the room and the other kids (and the toys!), it was a success. He was very excited to come back by himself (i.e. without me!)
His first official day, Tuesday, was a success (he'll be going Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00-11:30 am). In fact, he got upset when I came to pick him up! He didn't want to leave. I was proud that he was one of the kids who didn't cry or seem sad when the parents left on the first day, but I would have liked a little enthusiastic "Hi, mommy!" or something when I picked him up!! Geez. :) Sonja had a good time, too--I let her play a little bit when I first dropped him off and she fit right in.
I didn't get much out of him about what they did that first day, but I did catch that he made a new friend, Michael, and that he used the potty with all the other boys during potty time and that they didn't get to play outside because of the rain. It's funny how I was hanging on every word he said and that all these details were so exciting to me!
Anyway, the school seems really great and we're happy we chose it (after such a long process!). Assuming all continues to go well, Sonja will be going there next year. I'm excited about what he'll be learning and the new kids he'll be meeting. I think it will be great for him.
--C.


1 Comments:
Peyton looks so much like you, Car, in that picture!
Can you remember how great preschool was? I can!! "Ashley, Ava, Todd..." :-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home