Unwanted visitor
It's time for a scary story, children. Gather round.
It's a story about something creepy and yucky that happened last night in the Vesneski house. Even just thinking about it is giving me the willies.
It was about 10:00 pm. I was sitting in a comfy arm chair in our living room, minding my own business, watching a movie with Brad. All of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flicker of movement on my shirt. Thinking it was just the lighting throwing shadows on my shirt, I looked down and there was, I swear to you, a centipede crawling across my shirt. It was probably about 2-3 inches long. I screamed an expletive, jumped up, flicked it off me, and ran around the room crying and hysterically brushing off every part of my body while it scurried for safety under the couch.
Now, compared to most girls, I'm not bad when it comes to bugs. I can kill small to medium spiders, any size mosquito, silverfish, etc with no problem at all. There are, however, a few bugs that absolutely freak me out, and perhaps on the top of that list, is the centipede.
I had never encountered one before about 6 or 7 years ago when I turned on the light and happened across one in the dirt-floored basement of our first apartment. I had never seen anything like it and had no idea what it was, but it so scared me that I don't think I ever went in that basement again. As luck would have it, that turned out to be an unusually large one, but I was tramautized nonetheless. I have only seen a few since, but I get hysterical when I see them and end up having great anxiety about it for at least a week afterward.
So imagine my hysteria when I saw one crawling on me! Of all things to crawl on me, it had to be the one bug I'm most scared of. And why couldn't it have crawled on Brad? Or the dogs? No, it had to choose me. And of course, it got away. The thought of it being on the loose in our house had me practically beside myself. Well, as it turned out, the bastard creature got what it deserved about 5 minutes later when Brad got up to use the bathroom and saw it scurrying across the kitchen floor. He quickly squashed it and everything was fine afterward.
Still, it had me pretty shaken up, and I half expected to develop Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from the whole damn experience! I expected, at the very least, to have nightmares about creepy-crawly things crawling all over me. But I didn't. I'm fine.
I won't, however, be sitting in that chair for a very long time...
--C.


3 Comments:
Car, I feel your pain.
Our upcoming reunion? Tucson.
My biggest insect fear? Scorpions.
You can imagine my nightmares lately!!
Yours in exoskeletal fear,
Dee
Carley,
OK...so there I was a young boy of 10ish. While my dad was cutting a motocross path into the hillside above our Highland Park home, he came across one (a big one, 5-6 inches long!!). My dad put it into a large bucket and gave my sister and I explicit orders to NOT TOUCH IT. Ahhhh, curiosity got the best of me to not only look at it and touch it, but to transfer it to a Tupperware to take to school!
During the transfer it literally slid from the bucket to my hand, to my foot, to 4 feet in the air. I then screamed so loudly that my mom came running outside. I was freekin out, and from that day forward...I hate those subcutaneous respirating f-ers.!!!!! Love Greg
I have to say that spiders and cockroaches have the ability to send me to the corner, rocking in fear. Guess we all have something...
And Dee, I've been in Tucson for a year now and I've never even SEEN a scorpion. I think they're an urban legend. Now, if you want to be scared of something in AZ, check out the chupacabra! :-)
Love, ASH
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home